DEVOLA — To say the conclusion of Saturday’s Logan at Marietta girls soccer match was controversial, frustrating and disappointing for the Lady Chiefs would be an overwhelming understatement.

The host (and undefeated) Lady Tigers scored two late goals, including the game-winner when two seconds were added back to the clock for a penalty kick, to pull out a heated 2-1 Mid-Ohio Valley Soccer League win over the Lady Chiefs at Marietta High School’s Devola Soccer Complex.

Logan scored the game’s first goal, giving the Lady Chiefs (2-2-1 overall, 0-1 MOVSL) a 1-0 lead they took deep into the second half over the Lady Tigers (7-0, 2-0).

Sophomore Brooklin Harris netted her team-leading eighth tally of the season with an assist from senior Emily McGreevy from the other side of the field.

“As soon as the game started, we controlled the field and Marietta initially struggled to keep up with our quick touches,” said Logan coach Brandy Ball. “Our defensive line immediately switched the ball through the back and used one another to support the offense. We struggled from time to time to use our midfielders, but that changed during the second half.”

Despite an aggressive Marietta defense, “our girls stayed strong and supported one another,” Ball added. “We kept our heads on straight and adjusted the positioning for the second half. This went so well for us. Marietta had to really hustle to keep up with our girls, which they did by becoming aggressive to the players, not to the ball.”

Ball praised Maya Burggraf and Dani Wolfe for working extremely hard to hold off Marietta’s “overly-aggressive behavior.”

A disputed Logan foul resulted in a Marietta direct kick and the Lady Tigers put it into the net to knot the game at 1-1 with a little over two minutes remaining.

“We stayed strong and pushed up hard,” Ball said, adding that Mollie Gabriel had four shots on net and Burggraf, Caroline Osburn and Madison Turner also had shots. Goalkeeper “Aaliyah Lewis played an excellent game with 12 saves. We couldn’t lay another in the net.”

In the dying seconds, with a 1-1 draw looming, the Lady Tigers sent a ball onto the Logan side and there was a collision in the penalty area just as the game appeared to have ended.

But to the outrage of the Lady Chiefs and their fans, a foul was called on Logan in the penalty area and two seconds were added to the clock. Marietta then converted the PK to walk away with a highly-disputed victory.

“The score went from 1-0 (Logan) to 2-1 (Marietta) in two minutes,” Ball said, reflecting her and her team’s disappointment with the controversial way the game ended. “It’s hard on a team who gives the game everything they have and they won the entire game but the score says otherwise.”

The Lady Chiefs look to come back from Saturday’s disappointment by hosting Bloom-Carroll Tuesday in Logan Chieftain Stadium.

Load comments