LOGAN SPORTS CAMPS
LHS, L-HMS camps
LOGAN — Forms are available for this summer’s Logan High School sports camps in the LHS athletic office, on the LHS website and from all buildings in the school district.
Unless otherwise noted, camp fees are $35 for youngsters who attend one camp; $30 each for those attending two camps, and $25 apiece for those taking part in three or more.
The schedule is as follows:
• Softball (coach Jim Huntsberger, email@example.com): June 3 through June 5 for grades 1-8 (9 a.m. to noon daily).
• Boys and girls golf (Ben Taulbee, firstname.lastname@example.org for boys and Rich Aldridge, email@example.com for girls): June 10-11 for grades 4-8 (9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. daily) at Hocking Hills Golf Club.
• Boys basketball (Chris Rider, firstname.lastname@example.org): June 10-12 (8 to 9:30 a.m. daily for grades 9-12; 10 to 11:30 a.m. daily for grades 5-8, and 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. daily for grades 1-4).
• Girls basketball (Jessica Harris, email@example.com): June 10-12 for grades 2-8 (4 to 7 p.m. daily).
• Volleyball (Stacey Ballenger, firstname.lastname@example.org): June 17-19 for kindergarten through fourth grade (9:30 to 11:30 a.m. daily) and grades 5-8 (1 to 3 p.m. daily).
• Boys soccer (Ian Riddlebarger, email@example.com): June 17-20 (9:30 to 10:30 a.m. daily for kindergarten through second grade; 9:30 to 11 a.m. daily for grades 3-6, and 5:30 to 7 p.m. for grades 7-8) at Logan High School. Those attending must bring their own shin guards.
• Girls soccer (Brandy Meyer, firstname.lastname@example.org): June 24-25 for kindergarten through second grade (Monday 8 to 9 a.m.; Tuesday 8 to 9 a.m. and 10 to 11 a.m.), $20 (no discounts apply); grades 3-6 (Monday 9 to 10 a.m.; Tuesday 11 a.m. to noon and 1 to 2 p.m.), $20 (no discounts apply); and grades 7-12 (Monday 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesday 3 to 5 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.), $30. Campers will be fed during the break on June 25.
• Boys and girls tennis (Robbie Ball, email@example.com): June 24-25 for ages 5-8 (Monday 9 to 9:30 a.m.; Tuesday 10:30 to 11 a.m.), $20; ages 9-12 (Monday 9:30 to 10:15 a.m.; Tuesday 11 to 11:45 a.m. and 1 to 1:45 p.m.), $25; and ages 13-up (Monday 10:15 to 11:15 a.m.; Tuesday 2 to 3 p.m. and 5-6 p.m.), $30. Multiple camp discount does not apply; campers will be fed during break on June 25.
• Football (Mike Eddy, firstname.lastname@example.org): July 15-18 for grades 3-8 (5 to 7 p.m. daily).
• Boys cross country (Connor Cox, email@example.com): July 19-20 for grades 7-12 (Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Saturday 8 to 11 a.m.) at Clear Creek Metro, $30. Multiple camp discount does not apply.
• Girls cross country (Hannah Shull, firstname.lastname@example.org): tentatively July 22-23 for grades 9-12 (Monday 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Old Man’s Cave Campground and Tuesday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.) at Logan High School, $60 per camper; July 25-26 for grades 7-8 (8:30 to 10:30 a.m. each day) at Logan High School, $35 per camper.
Historian seeks info
LOGAN — The foremost authority on Logan High School’s sports history is seeking to chronicle much more of it.
Spencer Waugh has already compiled a complete statistical history of LHS football that is unmatched statewide and is in the process of doing the same for Logan boys and girls basketball.
Now, however, he is seeking Chieftain football players, classmates and fans from the 1950s and 1960s to interview and record their memories.
Those who would like to share their thoughts and memories about players and/or coaches from that era are urged to contact him at email@example.com or 740-974-4531.
Waugh continues to work on turning his Logan football research into a book that will feature summaries of every Chieftain football season as well as features on some of the coaches, players and fans who make Friday nights so special in Chieftain Nation.
In addition, anyone possessing old photos, photo negatives, film reels or programs Waugh would like to help you digitize these memories so they can last another 60-plus years.
Waugh has already scanned hundreds of old negatives and photos and has even converted 16mm game film reels to digital files that can be viewed on his website, http://www.loganfootball.com/.
Rec registration slated
LOGAN — The Logan City Recreation department has scheduled registration days for its summer soccer league.
Those dates are Tuesday, June 18; Friday, June 21; Monday, June 24, and Thursday, June 26. All registration will be conducted from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Mingo Park Shelter House.
The program is for boys and girls entering kindergarten through sixth grade this fall. Parents must complete consent forms and pay the $20 player fee during these times.
No forms will be accepted after July 3 in fairness to those who sign up in a timely manner.
Those with questions, or anyone interested in coaching, should contact Rich Burcham (385-6007) weekday evenings for more information.
Tournaments in Athens
ATHENS — The Athens Sandlot Baseball League is planning the following tournaments:
Ages 14-under: June 28-30. Pool play format; entry fee $350. The first eight paid teams will be reserved a spot. Contact Matt Trainer (740-707-8530 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ages 13-under: June 28-30. Pool play format; entry fee $350. The first eight paid teams will be reserved a spot. Contact Matt Trainer (740-707-8530 or email@example.com).
Ages 11-12: June 21-23. Pool play format; entry fee $250. The first 16 paid teams will be reserved a spot. Contact David Cornwell (740-707-1813 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ages 9-10: June 28-30. Pool play format; entry fee $250. The first 16 paid teams will be reserved a spot. Contact Paul Kristofco 740-591-6432 or email@example.com).
Ages 7-8 coach pitch: June 21-23. Pool play; entry fee $250. The first 16 paid teams will be reserved a spot. Contact Bryan Wharton at 740-590-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Go to www.athenssandlot.com for more information.
Tournaments in Athens
ATHENS — The Athens Sandlot Softball League is planning the following fast pitch tournaments:
Ages 14-under, 12-under and 10-under: June 14-16 and June 28-30. All teams guaranteed four games unless weather revises; entry fee $400. Contact Ron Lucas (740-707-4439 or email@example.com).
Ages 8-under coach pitch: June 14-16 and June 28-30. All teams guaranteed four games unless weather revises; entry fee $350. Contact Ron Lucas (740-707-4439 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Go to www.athenssandlot.com for more information.
Loryn Cassady Memorial
LANCASTER — The sixth annual Loryn Cassady Memorial Golf Outing will be held Saturday, July 6, at Pumpkin Vine Golf Course.
Teams consist of four players, with entry fee $75 per person. The fee includes lunch, green fees, cart and a T-shirt. The deadline for registration is June 26.
The tournament begins at 9 a.m., with registration starting at 8.
All proceeds benefit the Loryn Cassady Memorial Scholarship at Logan High School.
Go to bit.ly/LNCGOLF to register. All registration is being conducted online.
Contact Stephanie Murphy (740-603-5463) or Kyle Walker (740-583-0026) for more information.