BEVERLY, Ohio – In a season in which the Logan Chieftains have been handed some lopsided defeats, one of the most decisive came on Friday night, when they fell to the Fort Frye Cadets in an away game, 49-14.

The game wasn’t even as close as the score might suggest. The Chiefs did manage to score a couple of consolation touchdowns in the third and fourth quarters, but by then the game had been well out of their reach for a long while.

Fort Frye simply controlled the line of scrimmage, never allowing Logan to put together any kind of sustained offensive momentum. And on offense the Cadets put points on the board early and often, racking up six TDs by the end of the first half to go into the locker room with a commanding 42-0 lead.

After three plays and a punt by Logan, Fort Frye put the ball in the end zone on its very first play, a 37-yard pass from senior quarterback Ian Ellis to junior Braxton Brown.

After taking Fort Frye’s kickoff to about their own 23, the Chiefs lost the ball on a fumble – one of their three fumble turnovers in the game – leading to a second Fort Frye TD on a 16-yard run by Mason Long, with 8:26 still left in the first quarter.

After the subsequent kickoff Logan again coughed up the ball on a fumble, giving Fort Frye excellent field position inside the Chieftains’ 30 yard line. They promptly turned the opportunity into a third score.

Ellis ran the ball in from about four yards out, but the TD was called back on a penalty, putting the Cadets back to about Logan’s 19. A pass from Ellis to Long later, and the Cadets were up by three touchdowns with about five minutes left in the first.

After kicking off, Fort Frye’s defense shut down the Chiefs and forced them to punt. With less than a minute to go in the quarter the Cadets scored yet again, this time on a 16-yard pass from Ellis to Long.

The second quarter wasn’t much better for the Chieftains, as yet another lost fumble by Logan, this one on a punt attempt, was fallen on by a Fort Frye defender in the end zone to jack the score up to 35-0 with a little over 11 minutes left in the half.

The Chiefs had a decent kickoff return but again were shut down on offense by Fort Frye and had to punt. With 4:32 remaining in the half, Ellis hit Brown from 27 yards out to put the score up to 42-0 in the Cadets’ favor.

This large a point differential triggered a rule requiring that in the second half the game would have a running clock.

Coming out for the second half the Chiefs got a lift early, when Tyler Dawson picked up a Cadets fumble at the Fort Frye 25 and ran it in for a TD. When Fort Frye got the ball back, however, Long ran it 64 yards, only being pushed out of bounds at the 1-yard line, from where Fort Frye’s Sam Garvin punched in another touchdown. By this time both teams were subbing in younger players to get some playing time, as the outcome was no longer really in doubt.

Logan quarterback Wyatt Woodgeard made the score a little more respectable when he connected with Kaden Morgan from 15 yards out with 3:20 left in the game. This put the final score at 49-14.

Next Friday Logan, now 2-6 on the season, will face Zanesville at home. It will be senior night for the Chieftains.

Trending Recipe Videos

Recommended for you

Trending Recipe Videos

Load comments