LOGAN – The Logan boys’ soccer team won their first round central district tournament game last night, played at Logan Chieftain Stadium. In thrilling fashion, the Chieftains defeated Whitehall (5-6-1) on penalty kicks, after an 80-minute game and two 15-minute overtimes left the game tied 3-3.

Whitehall got the first goal of the match just over halfway into the first half. The Chiefs responded minutes later. Ayden St. Clair had a shot that forced the Rams keeper to make a diving save to keep out of the goal. The save deflected wide, to where Keion Cousins picked it up and shot on goal but the keeper again saved it. This time the ball spun up into the air, and St. Clair got on the end of it to volley into goal.

The Chiefs took the lead soon after when Lucas Sheridan played a free kick into the goal box that Ayden St. Clair flicked on toward goal. Noah Swart made a timely run to get on the end of the flick and volley into goal. This put the score at Logan 2-1 with 3:33 left in the half.

The Rams responded late in the half to equalize things at 2-2 going into halftime.

Just over midway through the second half, the Chiefs pulled ahead again. Cousins worked the ball down the left flank, played inside to Swart, who found Ayden St. Clair just inside the top of the penalty area. Swart’s pass was perfect, setting up St. Clair for a one-time strike into goal, his 10th of the season.

A poor clearance late in regulation allowed the Rams to tie the score at three and send the game to overtime.

Through both 15-minute periods of overtime, each team threatened the other’s goal but players were becoming increasingly fatigued. After no one scored on either side, the game went to penalty kicks to determine the outcome. Penalties are best of five and if no one wins on that, it’s sudden death after each subsequent round.

The Rams went first and made their kick. Logan responded with a perfect strike by Noah Swart. Things proceeded the same for the next four rounds with the Rams making their kick and then the Chieftains, behind Ethan St. Clair, Aiden Borer, Seve Robers and Lucas Sheridan, all equalizing.

On the sixth Rams kick, Max Black came up with the save. Parker Glenn stepped up to the spot with the chance to end it and nailed it. The Chiefs improved to 10-3-3 on the season. Max Black had six saves in the match.

The Chieftains now advance to play at 6th seeded Columbus St. Charles on Thursday night at 7 p.m.

Trending Recipe Videos

Recommended for you

Trending Recipe Videos

Load comments